Monday, February 6, 2012

Amazing Thing Happened at Barnes & Noble

So an amazing thing happened at the Barnes & Noble Authorpalooza Saturday.  And I'm just now realizing how amazing.  For those of you who know me, know that I'm a HUGE advocate for reading and writing and basically anytime I'm around a kid/teenager at a book signing, I'm going to ask them if they love to write.  It's just me.  I think any kid who loves this gift should develop it.  Which is why i have my writing secrets blog.  And why it is my stand to ALWAYS speak at schools for free.

Anyway, so I talked to a LOT of kids Saturday, encouraging them to write and answering questions.  A lot, a lot, a lot.  And now it's Monday and I've realized what has happened because of it.

1) Those kids walked away inspired.  So inspired they were telling the cashiers about me.  Saying how nice I was (and the author next to me, who jumped right in and helped answer questions).  They received so many compliments about us, that we were invited to come back THIS Saturday and sign again for Valentine's.  Just she and I.

2) Those kids told their parents.  One mom even wrote me the following email:

"I just wanted to thank you so much for what you did for my daughter and her friend today at Barnes and noble. These girls are on cloud 9 right now because of your encouragement and kind words. "Amazing" is the word my daughter kept using. I really think you have influenced them in a great way. I hear they are going to dedicate their first book to you! :) This experience is something they won't soon forget and again I thank you for that. :)
Best wishes for you and your writing,
J---"

3) Those kids went and told their teachers today.  I am now booked to speak at a school on the 29th.  This teacher was so sweet on the phone explaining how the girls rushed straight to her class the second they were dropped off to school and were so excited, they were talking over themselves begging her to get me to come to the whole class so everyone could hear what I had to say.

Lesson?  Talk to kids.  They listen.  What's more... I could sign a million books to adults... but inspiring a kid to write, who can't afford your book, but squeals when they get your autograph on a bookmark--priceless.  :)

5 comments:

  1. Brilliant! Sounds like it's all going really really well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I was in 3rd grade an author came to speak in the library at our school. When I found out she was coming, I brought my journal with me and asked her to autograph it for me. I still remember what she wrote: "Keep writing!" :-) I'm so glad you're doing for other kids what she did for me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awww! Such a great story! I know it made a huge difference to my son when he met an author he loved in person, then later emailed him and said that he started a blog about the book he was writing, and the author commented on his blog. It was priceless! You truly can make a difference.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Jenni, I sort of met you at the LTUE, and know you met so many people, but hey, I get to stalk you know...ok maybe that was a little creepy, what I meant was, now I can follow you :)

    I know Peggy and Shelly from your panel :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This literally made me so happy I teared up. That is beyond wonderful. Thanks for the beautiful post! (And for obviously being so awesome and to quote the kids "amazing"!)

    ReplyDelete